ASSISTANT CHIEF Assistant Chief posting
The Newington Fire and Rescue is currently accepting applications for the full time position of Assistant Fire Chief.
JOB FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR ACTIVITIES
- Supervises and directs all emergency services personnel in the performance of their duties in fire, rescue, basic and advanced emergency medical services and including, but not limited to: structural fire suppression, marine firefighting, wildland fire suppression, airport fire protection, vehicle firefighting, extrication and disentanglement, rope rescue, hazardous materials response and operations, confined space rescue, fire cause investigation/determination and inspection.
- Makes recommendations in hiring, promotions and termination of personnel.
- Makes recommendations to the Fire Chief in the development and implementation of standard operating guidelines, standards and recommendations for emergency services practices.
- Assists the Fire Chief in preparation of the Fire Department budget.
- Develop and supervise the delivery of training programs for emergency service personnel.
- Responds to emergency service calls and assumes command at major incidents as needed.
- Responsible for the care, maintenance, cleanliness and readiness of all fire department apparatus, equipment and facilities.
- Maintains records and reports of emergency service activities in accordance with generally accepted standards and applications, state regulations or guidelines.
- Assists in the delivery of public education and injury prevention programs.
- Performs the duties of the Fire Chief in his/her absence.
- Performs other duties as required by the department or as prescribed by the Fire Chief.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Five years’ experience and extensive knowledge of emergency services, including fire, rescue, and advanced life support emergency medical services with at least three years at Lieutenant or higher rank. Associates Degree in Fire Science, Business, Management or similar field preferred. Experience with combination departments desired. Strong interpersonal skills required for training and working with personnel.
If you wish to apply for this list, a resume and cover letter must be submitted to Fire Chief Andrew Head by 1100 hours, September 12, 2018.
Salary Range ($51,742-$65,444) plus overtime
Lieutenant is the position immediately below that of the Assistant Fire Chief.
Lieutenants shall be responsible for the following:
- Commanding an engine, ladder or ambulance.
- Prepare reports and maintain records as required.
- Obey, support, and enforce the department’s rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Supervising and assisting subordinates in the performance of maintenance, training, company inspections, public education programs and emergency response activities.
- In the absence of a Chief Officer at an emergency will act in the role as such.
- Performing other such duties as maybe required.
- NREMT-A, NREMT-Paramedic.
- New Hampshire Level 3 or FF2.
- Must complete a New Hampshire Fire Officer 1 program within one year.
- Shall be at least 18 years of age.
- Shall not have been convicted of a felony.
- Shall have a state recognized high school diploma or equivalent.
- Hazardous Materials Operational Level min.
- New Hampshire lateral transfers accepted
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and CDL- B required within first 6 months of hire.
- Preferred consideration will be given to applicants that live within 20 minutes of the station.
- Successfully complete a one (1) year Probationary Period.
Please be advised that each candidate may be subject to the following prior to beginning employment with the Town of Newington:
- Interview with Oral Board.
- Interview with the Fire Chief.
- Pass background check, including references, driving record, New Hampshire Municipal Employee Criminal Record Check.
If you wish to apply for this list, a resume and cover letter must be submitted to
Chief Andrew Head, Fire Chief, by 1100 hours, September 12, 2018.
The Town of Newington is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right to select a qualified applicant.